Sunday, May 1, 2011

Big changes...

I've been trying to make little changes all year.  Things to get our family healthier.  It has been going well, but it hasn't been very thorough, and I'm very susceptible to back-sliding.  (You know my perfectionism and all-or-nothing mentality!)

So, I've decided that the month of May is a time of Big Changes.  And it's going to be as complete as I can manage, factoring in that it's me who's in charge and it will take some planning ahead!

The number one change is to:  Get rid of as many processed foods as we can.  I'm going to do the most I can do without cracking.  For instance, I already know I can't commit to making yogurt right this second, with all the other changes.  But we're going to purchase the healthiest yogurt that the kids will eat.  (Allison only eats peach, so we either have to buy a brand that sells peach - which does not include any organic brands I've seen - or be flexible on this one thing.)  We will buy packaged pasta, but with the least ingredients possible (for me, the only ingredient will be brown rice).  No more Kraft mac-n-cheese.  No more ramen (although we have 4 packages now, and I'll consider letting the kids eat them - but we won't purchase more this month).

That's the biggest change.  It's really huge, and I get that.  I will buy canned tomatoes or tomato sauce, because I can't can my own immediately.  But I do not intend to purchase canned soups - those will be homemade.  We will switch to brown rice (no white) and whole wheat flour (I've been switching gradually, so this will just be a push to finish it).  We will finish eating the packaged bread and English muffins we have now, but after that, I'll try to make my own bread and see how well that is received by my semi-particular kids.  (Again, I can be flexible, but choosing healthier brands, if necessary.)

And no eating out, if it can be helped.  I'm not going to make my family starve for 2 hours until we can get home and make dinner, if something comes up.  But I'll do my best to plan ahead and not have that sort of situation happen.

Also, Exercise at least 15 minutes EVERY DAY (preferably more).   I have been so bad at this.  I just get busy and it's the first thing to slide.  My commitment for May is 15 minute per day.  If it's 9:00 pm and I haven't done it, there is no excuse.  I will turn on a video or hop on the elliptical machine.  Or take the dog for a walk.  I will get in better shape!

The other thing that kind of slips in by necessity is Meal Planning (because if I don't, how will we manage to have ingredients on hand?).  I don't know why I resist meal planning so much.  I love weeks when I do it - it feels like they just run more smoothly!

Oh, and the biggest one - No Diet Pepsi.  Ugh - I have given it up so many times, and then I go back to it.  It's so unhealthy and expensive.  I bet I spend $1,000 per year on diet Pepsi (not including what Mark drinks)!  That's beyond ridiculous!  So, none.  And I hope to not go back to it after this month.  It really isn't good for me or my wallet!

So, there we have it.  It's scary to commit to this and let everyone read it.  Because then if I fail, everyone knows.  But that might be just the accountability that I need to really get it done.  Wish me luck!

And, if anyone wants to join me, or just pick one or two things to work on, please feel free!  Let me know what you'll be focusing on, and we can keep each other accountable!

2 comments:

  1. found you through your comment on HH :) We've been on our healthy food journey for a few months now, and I'm really happy with our progress so far. There's still so much to learn yet though-my next project is buying a yogurt maker and making my own yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sara, have you tried making it without the yogurt maker? I've seen so many explanations. It looks easy enough, but I'm still not sure when I'll get around to trying to. http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/04/13/monday-mission-homemade-yogurt-the-easy-way/ or http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/make-your-own-yogurt-and-cream-cheese are examples.

    ReplyDelete