Monday, February 14, 2011

Meal Planning

I've been trying to find the best method for me to do meal planning.  I've tried two that have free trial periods.  Both have their benefits.

The first one I tried is Living Cookbook.  I love the cookbook aspect of this software.  The recipes are well-formatted and the software calculates nutrition information based on ingredients entered.


You can organize your recipes into cookbooks, categories, chapters, etc.  It is wonderful for keeping all those internet recipes in one place.

The meal-planning aspect seems useful, but less intuitive than I'd like.  But it would work.  It also will create a shopping list from your meal plan that can be printed.  It does not have any sort of mobile phone connection (it's software, not web-based).  But printing would get the job done.

The other program that I'm trying is called Plan to Eat.  It is web-based and can be accessed via a mobile site, as well.  It also stores recipes, but the format is slightly less than optimal.


Just not quite as clean-lined.  Plus, you can't have separate cookbooks, so if you were to load hundreds of recipes, it would get a bit messy.  But there are categories based on type of food/meal, as well as cuisine.  Plus you can tag the recipe as many ways as you want.  So searching should be fairly simple.

The menu planning on this program is much simpler and more intuitive, though.  And prettier, which apparently affects my judgement.  :)

My favorite aspect of the program is that when you create the shopping list based on your meals for the week, you can check what you already have and remove it from the list.  You can add other non-grocery items to your list.  And then you can view/use it on your mobile phone while at the grocery store!  Including checking off items as you shop (no more pen and paper for me!).  It seems wonderful.

I just started my trial membership yesterday, so I haven't really had a chance to use it yet.  But I'm hoping to win a subscription from Keeper of the Home.  Check it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment