Monday, February 13, 2012

The Big One

My biggest project for the year is really a big one.  I honestly haven't started yet, even though we're already 1.5 months into the year.  (Where does the time go??)  But it's a real, measurable goal that I am going to work toward.

I plan to get rid of half of the items we own.  As far as it is in my power (because I do live with other people who do have some say in what we own, whether I like it or not).  And not a clean split - like half my clothes, half my kitchen items, etc.  But about half of the total count of our possessions.  I'll just say right now that I have little to no control over anything in the garage (which is way too much stuff!), so that won't count in my tally at all.  Neither will DH's clothes or toys, I'm afraid.  (Although maybe he'll find me a good influence and make changes on his own!)

The first step in this process is to count up our total possessions (approximately), which is an ugly chore.  I'm afraid that's really why I haven't started yet.  Although I could just count up what I get rid of and add that to the total when I do count later.  Hmmm...



I think my first stop will be my closet.  Last year, I gave myself until Allison's 5th birthday to lose the "baby weight" which was the reason for hanging onto hundreds of pieces of clothing that don't fit me.  Well, that's next week and I'm not even in the ballpark.  I'm not sure I'm even in the same state where the ballpark is located.  So, it's time to cut them loose.   I might (we'll see) give myself some leeway - maybe one bin worth of clothes I like enough to store for maybe another 6-12 months.  And that's it.  And only items that I really, truly like.   Keeping in mind, of course, that while I don't like many of my clothes at all, that I do have to have something to put on my body.  So not every piece I hate will leave just yet.  I would guess that 75% of my wardrobe will be leaving the house.  Wow.  (And kind of sad.)

So, that's step one of the journey to owning less and being surrounded by less clutter.  Anyone want to join me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment